Recently, I’ve become involved with an amazing organization, The New York Center for Children, which provides free therapy services to children and their families. In the month of October, NYCC is partnering with the Polished Man Campaign, an international awareness and fundraising campaign to help the 1 in 5 children who experience violence worldwide.
The Polished Man Campaign challenges men (and women) to paint one fingernail Polished Man Blue to represent the 1 child that dies every 5 minutes as a result of violence worldwide. Hopefully, that nail starts a conversation, which leads to a donation, which leads to prevention and healing.
All funds raised by the Polished Man Campaign support trauma recovery and trauma prevention programs for children around the world. This is the third year in a row that the New York Center for Children is the sole U.S. beneficiary.
As a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, I know firsthand how much therapy and support it requires to heal from this kind of trauma. It’s not an exaggeration to say that I would not be here today, writing this blog, if I hadn’t been able to access the lifesaving therapy that kept me sane and safe as I struggled to face and process traumatic memories of being abused by my father. That’s why I am so deeply inspired by NYCC, whose clients receive their therapy completely free of charge in a uniquely warm, nurturing and supportive environment. And that’s why I’ve started a fundraising team to support NYCC and The Polished Man Campaign.
There are two ways you can help
1) Donate: Please use this link to join the Generations Fitness and Friends Team. Help us reach our goal of raising $1000 to serve abused kids around the world.
2) Spread the word:
- Like them on Facebook at Polished Man campaign and the New York Center for Children.
- Like them on Instagram at Polished Man and the New York Center for Children.
- Follow them on Twitter at Polished Man and the New York Center for Children.
- Share this blog and any other related posts and use the hashtags: #PolishedMan, #IPreferAPolishedMan, #NailItToEndIt.
Thanks in advance for your generous support!